spooky's world

Saturday, December 10, 2005

CSR - Corporate Social Responsibility - Is it a fad or real

Looking at the local corporate sceen almost every company seems to go after CSR. Even the accountancy bodies have recognised this to a certain extent. Social reporting is coming to formal repoting of companies. However it is fair to pause for a while and ask the question, does it really mean anything?

Well, today I had th opportunity to be part of my organisation's CSR program. In a way it sounded pretty typical. Our guys decided to renovate a public dispensary in one of those "not so" developed areas in the city. Our guys approach was very commendable in many ways. They planned things out in detail and not even the overnight rain which continued till noon could dampen their spirits. They pulled their socks and reached the place probably 15 -20 minutes later than the originally scheduled time.

My situation was slightly different. After attending urgent house matters I reach the location around 11.30Am. There were local people and our company staff who were working hand in hand . In a short while I found my self painting upper parts of a wall using a roller brush. I haven't painted before. It is not something that I enjoy either. But......I started doing it. It was fun! When you roll it up and see the paint being spread around you do have a sense of satisfaction.

After sometime I was joined by another first timer, a female who seemed to enjoy brush painting right from the ouset. Within a hour or so we managed to "complete" fairly large room between two if us. I cointinued in the hall area too. Because of my "vertical" advantage I manage to add some value especially in higher areas.

We had about 40 odd staff doing all sorts of things from painting to manufacturing chairs to clearing the garden. There was a sense of achievement in everything that we do. We were ne big family. The usual groupings you find in office was not there.

There was a great deal of team work. Well I thought this is one of the best ways to build team spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home